Ads


Causative Verbs do not say that subjects do something for themselves. They are used to express something which someone has done for another one. In other words, causative verbs indicate someone causes another one to do something. 

Many causative verbs in English have their non-causative form. Look at some causative verbs which have their non-causative form.

  Eat feed
   See  show
   Know  inform
   Take   give
   Rememberremind
   Learn   teach


When we want to show the subject doing something, we use non-causative verbs.

• He eats rice. I saw a bird.
• They know me.
• He takes an umbrella.
• You can remember everything.
• We should learn regularly.


Here, subjects themselves are doing something. They are not letting or causing others to do something.
If we want to let subjects make or cause someone or something to do something, we use causative forms of the verbs. Look at the examples below.


• I will show the syllabus.
• Mother feeds her baby.
• I will teach him a good lesson.

However, some causative verbs do not have their non-causative form. They are given below:
Let, have, get, make, help

'Let' means allow
Structure: let + object + base/ root form of the verb
Examples:
Let me do the work.


'Have' is synonymous with handing over someone something
Structure: have + object + base form of the verb
Examples:
I will have my colleague take the class.

'Get' means convincing someone for doing something.
Structure: get + object + root form o the verb
Examples:
I will get my teacher to make some corrections.

'Make' refers to forcing or depending upon someone to do something
Structure: make + object + base form of verb
Examples:
I will make him finish the work.

'Help' means assisting someone to do something.
Structure: help + (to) base form of the verb
Though both the usages are correct, we commonly use help with 't'.
Examples:
He helped me do the work.

'Enable' means giving authority to someone to do something
Structure: enable + object + to + root form  of the verb.
Examples:
A human mind enables us to be sympathetic towards others.

'Persuade' means convincing people to do something
Structure: persuade + object + to + base form of the verb
Examples:
I persuaded my friend to write me an e-mail.
He persuaded me to do the task.
Require.

'Require' means ordering someone to do something
Structure: require + to + base form of the verb (v1)
Examples:
People are required to wear masks.

'Force' means trying to compel someone to do
সমেথিং
Structure: force + object + to + root form of verb (v1)
Examples:
Don't force me to do the work. 

 

 Usage of Need

Making Plural Compound Noun

Dangling Modifier

Misplaced Modifier

English Alphabet and Speech Sound

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post