Ads


Arup Roy, lecturer in English Language & Literature, Kanchkura University College
When we go to study verbs, we come across their various forms. These forms respond to subjects, tenses, voices, persons, numbers, clauses, prepositions, conjunctions, connectors, phrases, genders, moods, modal auxiliaries, etc. Therefore, we need to be aware of all these grammatical issues to apply the right form of verbs. Therefore, dealing with the right form of the verbs means dealing with so many other grammatical issues,  because we can understand that verb is associated with each and every element of a sentence. So, we must have a thorough idea about the relation between the verb and other element/s in the sentence. Study of the right form of the verbs helps us choose the correct form of verb among various forms such as the present, past, present participle, past participle, gerund, bare infinitive, "to" infinitive. 


Different forms of a verbs

Root/Base Form

 play, drink do, work, etc.

 am is, are

 have, has

Past

 played, drank, thought, did, etc.

 was, were

 had

Past Participle

 played, drunk thought, etc.

 been

 had

Present Participle

 playing, drinking, doing, etc.

 being

 having

Infinitive

 to play, to drink, to do, etc.

 to be

 to have

Gerund

 playing, drinking, doing

 

 

Bare infinitive

 (to) play, (to) drink, (to) do etc.  

 

 


Some important rules:
 

1. If the subject of present indefinite tense is third person singular, we are to add "s" or "es" with a verb.

  • Karim plays cricket.
  • He knows everything. 
2. If the subject of the present Indefinite tense is plural, we do not add "s" or "es" with the verb.
  • They do the work.
  • They love to play cricket. 
3. If time indicating words such as always, never, often, generally, usually, normally, daily, every day, every week, every year, etc. exist in a sentence, the sentence becomes present indefinite tense.
  • I play cricket every day.
  • I generally take tea twice a day.
  • He always studies seriously.
4. In the case of universal truth, habitual truth, scientific truth, factual truth, the sentence becomes present indefinite tense. 
  • The sun rises in the East.
  • Every mother loves her child.
  • Ice floats on water.
  • 100℃ is the normal boiling point of water. 
5. If the subject of the present indefinite tense of negation is a third-person singular number, we use "does not" instead of "s" or "es".
  • He does not study.
  • Jamal does not play regularly.
6. We also do not add "s" or "es" if the sentence is past or future.
  • I recited a poem.
  • I will recite a poem. 
7. We always use the base form of a verb after modal auxiliary verbs such as can, could, may, might, shall, should, will, would, ought to, need, dare, have to, must, etc. 
  • He can recite well.
  • I should do it.
8. We also use base form of verb after "had rather", "let", "would rather", "had better", "need not", "do not", "does not", "did not", "did never".
  • Let me do it.
  • You had better study seriously.
  • I need not do the work.
9. For passive voice, we always use the past participle form of the verb. In the case of the modal auxiliary verb, we add "be" before the past participle form of the verb.
  • It can be done by him.
  • All bad things should be ignored.
  • Children ought to be taught wisely.
  • He may be permitted. 
10. An action or condition that is happening now is present in the continuous tense. 
  • I am writing an email.
  • He is working hard. 
  • They are playing football.
11. If "yet", "just", "just now", "already", "lately", "ever" are found in sentence, the sentence is present perfect tense. 
  • He has finished his duty just now.
  • Have you ever seen him?
  • I have already read it. 
12. If we see time indicator such as "yesterday", "ago", "last year", "last week", "last month", "that day", "day before", the sentence is past indefinite.
  • I visited Sundarban last month. 
  • I finished reading this book last month.
  • I went to Saint Martin long ago.
13. We always use the base form of the verb after the preposition "to". 
  • We need to work hard.
  • I love to read books.
  • You have to respect others.
14. If time is mentioned after "since" or "for", the sentence is present in the perfect continuous tense. 
  • I have been working since morning.
  • He has been suffering from a fever for seven days. 
  • They had been working on this project for 3 years. 
15. If the clause combined with "if" is present indefinite tense, the next clause will be present indefinite or future indefinite tense. 
  • If he works hard, he will succeed.
  • If you take exercise regularly, you can keep yourself fit. 
16. If the clause combined with "if" is past indefinite tense, the next clause will be past indefinite conditional. 
  • If he studied seriously, He would do well in the exam.
  • If I saw him, I would help him.
17. If the clause combined with "if" is past perfect tense, the next clause will be past perfect conditional. 
  • If I had seen him, I would have helped him.
  • If he had studied seriously, he would have passed the exam.  
18. The structure "had + subject + past participle" is also followed by past perfect conditional.
  • Had I seen him, I would have helped him. 
  • Had I been a king, I would have helped the poor.
19. We know that we are to use the base form of the verb after "to" preposition, but we are to add "ing" after some phrasal verbs such as "with a view to", "look forward to", "confess to", "opposed to", "accustom to", "addiction to", "dedication to" etc. Here, "to" is considered to be a part of the verb itself.
  • I am looking forward to receiving your reply.
  • I went to Saint Martin intending to enjoy the natural scenery. 
  • Girls are accustomed to going to school in a liberal country like Bangladesh.
  • I am opposed to criticizing others. 
  • His addiction to drinking will ruin him.
  • His dedication to making others smile is praiseworthy. 
20. We add "ing" after "mind", "would you mind", "could not help", "worth", past, etc. 
  • Would you mind opening the door?
  • I could not help playing cricket. 
21. If there is "would that" at the beginning of the sentence, we use "could" after subject.
  • Would that I could be a bird.
  • Would that I could visit Mars.  

22. If there is "to be"/"got"/"having", we use the past participle form of the verb. 

  • The job is to be done by tomorrow.
  • I did it having received your help. 
  • He got disappointed.
23. based on number, person and tense, we use "am"/"is"/"are"/"was"/"were" and "been". 
  • I am happy.
  • He is rich.
  • God is everywhere.
  • They were playing cricket.
  • One of my friends is sad. 
24. If the clause combined with "if"/"had" is past tense, the following clause will be subject + would/could/might + present form of the verb.
  • If I saw him, I would help him.
  • If I were a king I would help the poor. 
25. If the clause combined with "if"/"had" is perfect tense, the following clause will be subject + would have / could have / might have + present form of the verb.
  • If I had seen him, I would have helped him. 
  •  Had I seen him, I would have helped him.  
26. One clause consists of one finite verb.
  • I love to read books (infinitive).
  • I love reading (gerund). 
27. Would better, would rather, had better, had rather, need, let, must, etc are followed by the base form of the verb.
  • I would rather die than beg.
  • You had better study seriously.
  • Let me do the work.
28. We have to use "could" if the subject is followed by "would that".
  • Would that I could see her.
  • Would that I could finish my assignment. 
29. "Each", "every", "one of " etc. are followed by a singular verb.
  • One of my students has stood first in the exam.
  • Everybody hates a liar.
  • Each of my students is meritorious. 
30. "It is high time", "it is time", "fancy", are followed by a past form of the verb
  • It is high time we thought about it seriously.
  • It is time we planted more trees. ("It is time" can also be followed by present form--it is time to finish our homework.)
  • I fancy I became nervous.  
31. We also use "were" or "could be" if the subject is preceded by "if only".
  • If only I were a king!
  • If only I could be a king!
32. We add "ing" after "while" but if while is followed by any subject, it becomes a continuous tense.
  • While watching television, one of my friends called me. 
  • While I was reading a book, one of my friends called me. 

 



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post