Ads

BASIC RULES

NOTE: This section deals with the basic rules of structural transformation. But, before you read this section, you are advised to read the first section, entitled with "TRANSFORMATION OF STRUCTURAL SENTENCE: PART ONE".

SIMPLE
COMPLEX
COMPOUND
TO/IN ORDER TO/+BASE FORM OF VERB (V1)
Example: 1. He works hard to stand first in the exam. 2. He went to market to buy some books.

SO THAT/ IN ORDER THAT/ THAT....
Example: 1. He works hard so that he can stand first in the exam. 2. He went to market so that he could buy some books.
AND....
Example: 1. He wants to stand first in the exam and so he studies hard. 2. He wanted to buy some books and so he went to market.
TOO + ADJ/ADV + TO +BASE FORM OF VERB
Example: 1. He is too poor to buy a car.
SO + ADJ/ADV+ THAT
Example: He is so poor that he cannot buy a car.  
VERY....AND SO.....
Example: He is too poor and so he cannot buy a car.
WITHOUT + VERB + ING (GERUND)
Example: Without studying seriously, you cannot make good result. 
IF/UNLESS+ NEGATIVE, MAIN CLAUSE
Example: Unless you study seriously, you cannot make good result. 
.......OR.......
Example: Study seriously or you cannot make good result. 
BY + VERB +ING(GERUND)
Example: By studying seriously, you will make good result. 
IF + AFFIRMATIVE, + MAIN CLAUSE....
Example: if you study seriously, you will make good result. 
VERB.....AND.....
Example: Study seriously and you will make good result. 
BECAUSE OF/FOR/DUE TO/OWING TO
Example: I could not go to college because of my illness.
BECAUSE/AS/SINCE/FOR
Example: As I was ill, I could not go to college.
.....AND......
Example: I was ill and so I could not go to college.
DESPITE/IN SPITE OF + (POSSESSIVE) + NOUN/NOUN PHRASE/GERUND (V+ING)
Example: In spite of his poverty, he is honest.
THOUGH/ALTHOUGH/EVEN THOUGH
Example: Though he is poor, he is honest.
......BUT........
Example: Though he is poor, he is honest.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER/JUST AFTER + GERUND
Example: Immediately after his finishing his exam, he left the college. 
AS SOON AS/NO SOONER HAD ......THAN
Example: No sooner had he finished his exam than he left the college.
.....AND......
Example: He finished his exam and he left the college. 
IN FEAR OF/TO AVOID+ GERUND
Example: He drove fast in fear of missing his flight. 
CLAUSE + LEST + CLAUSE
Example: He drove fast lest he should miss his flight. 
......OR........
He drove fast or he would miss his flight. 
CLAUSE + BEFORE + NOUN PHRASE
Example: I had finished my research before my going to university. 
CLAUSE+ BEFORE + CLAUSE
Example: I had finished my lesson before I went to university. 
.....AND......
Example: I had finished my research and went to university.
NOUN PHRASE
Example: I know the time of his arrival.
WHERE + CLAUSE
Example: I know the time when he arrives. 
-------------------
THE REASON OF
Example: I know the reason of his doing this work. 
WHY + CLAUSE
Example: I know why he has done this work. 
-------------------
THE PROCESS OF/ THE WAY OF
Example: I know the process of his solving the work.
HOW + CLAUSE
Example: I know how he solved the work. 
-------------------
ONLY ADJECTIVE IN SIMPLE
Example: I came across some bad boys.
RELATIVE PRONOUN + AUXILIARY VERB + ADJECTIVE
Example: I came across some boys who were bad.
...........AND........
Example: I came across some boys and they were bad.
PRESENT PARTICIPLE (VERB + ING)
Example: I saw a floating flower.
RELATIVE PRONOUN + AUXILIARY VERB + VERB+ING
Example: I saw a flower which was floating. 
...........AND..........
Example: I saw a flower and it was floating. 
PAST PARTICIPLE (V3)
Example: I saw a snack killed by Karim.
RELATIVE PRONOUN + AUXILIARY VERB + PAST PARTICIPLE
Example: I saw a snake which was killed by Karim. 
...........AND.........
Example: I saw a snake and it was killed by Karim. 
AT THE TIME OF/ WHILE + GERUND
Example: At the time of my reading, he came.
WHEN/WHILE+CONTINUOUS TENSE
Example: When/while I was reading, he came. 
............AND...........
Example: I was reading and he came. 
ADJECTIVE, PREPOSITION, APPOSITIVE
Example: The man working over there is my friend. 
RELATIVE PRONOUN + AUXILIARY VERB
Example: The man who is working over there is my friend.
............AND...........
Example: The man is my friend and he is working over there. 
BESIDES+GERUND (V+ING)
Example: Besides beating him, the robber snatched his valuables. 
AS/SINCE/WHEN
Example: When the robber beat him, the robber snatched his valuables. 
NOT ONLY......BUT  ALSO
Example:    The robber not only beat him but also snatched his valuables. 
MAIN VERB + ING OF SUB-ORDINATE CLAUSE
Example: Going to Khulna, we visited Sundarban. 
WHEN (REPRESENTING WHILE)  
Example: When we went to Khulna, we visited Sundarban. 
SUB......AND.......
Example: We went to Khulna and visited Sundarban. 
AT /IN/DURING +TIME
Example: In Morning, I take exercise. 
WHEN + TIME........
Example: When it is morning, I take exercise. 
............. AND.......
Example: It is morning and I take exercise. 
EXCEPTIONS
a. I consider him to be wise
b. I consider him wise
c. Time is valuable.
d. She behaves like a mad.
e. Without my participation, they could not win the match. 


f. But for my absence, he could not solve it.  
g. In case of your going there, you will be rewarded. 
h. He is happy like you.
i. Work continuously until 5 pm. 
j. You will reap according to your sowing.
k.  You can earn according to your work. 
Complex
a. I consider that he is wise.
b. I consider that he is wise.
c. It is time which is valuable 
d. She behaves as if she were a mad. 
e. If I had not participated, they could not  have won the match. / Had I not participated, they could not have won the match
f. If I were absent, he could not solve it. 
g. If you go there, you will be rewarded. 
h. He is as happy as you.
i. Work continuously until it is 5 pm. 
j. As you sow, so (will) you reap.
k. You can earn as much as you work. 









ARUP ROY

WORKING AS A LECTURER,   

IN ENGLISH LITERATURE & LINGUISTICS
AT KANCHKHURA UNIVERSITY COLLEGE

FOUNDER AND DIRECTOR OF IELD

FORMER LECTURER OF STAMFORD COLLEGE
& DHAKA PUBLIC COLLEGE

WORKED AS A MEMBER SECRETARY
AT STAMFORD ENGLISH LANGUAGE CLUB UTTARA 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post